International Identity Theft – Bank Fraud
More and more in the news, Bank Fraud has surfaced as a result of International Criminal Identity Crime. While this criminal activity may appear to be local, the connection often is overseas.
Frequently tied to international organized crime rings, many officials consider this type of Identity Theft the growing trend. Organized international criminal groups seeking to finance their enterprises are spreading into the white-collar crime arena in the U.S. As a result, while the crime may occur in New York or California, the strings are being pulled overseas.
Examples of Criminal Identity Theft and Bank Fraud are:
• Bank accounts set up with stolen or falsified documentation for the purpose of cashing illegally-obtained checks such as Social Security or U.S. Treasury
• Bank accounts set up with stolen or falsified documentation to deposit counterfeit checks
• Fraudulently-obtained personal information – such as names, addresses, and Social Security or Driver’s License numbers – used to withdraw money from victims’ bank accounts
• Personal information – either counterfeit or real – used to establish a line of credit and illegally secure loans, mortgages
• Personal information – either counterfeit or real – used to establish a line of credit and illegally secure bank credit cards
• Personal information – either counterfeit or real – used to illegally secure banking account(s) information
• Impersonation of victims, to access accounts through counterfeit checks
• Impersonation of victims, to access 401Ks, annuities and other deferred accounts
• The use of devices, such as micro cameras and digital skimming devices, at ATMS and elsewhere
• Theft and use of PIN numbers
• Compromising bank officials or employees
The list is much longer.
And because of the association with international organized crime, several other issues come to the surface:
• Money laundering
• Foreign accounts and off-shore banking
• Overseas investment scams
• Overseas commodities scams
• Cybercrime and hacking into bank records
• Compromising foreign banking and other officials
In the U.S. the laws which federal and state agencies frequently wield are RICO, FCPA, the Bank Fraud Statute, and the Identity Theft and Assumption Deterrence Act. The IRS, the FBI, the FTC, the DOJ – Criminal Division (to name but a few of the agencies involved) . . . all partner to prevent the incursion of the ever-growing threat of international identity theft and bank fraud.
But with so many big players on an international stage, it is easy to forget the individual. The Blanch Law Firm does not.
Our firm, with its team of criminal defense lawyers experienced in bank fraud law, believes our client deserves full attention and understanding – something government agencies do not provide.
The Blanch Law Firm handles cases in the greater New York area, as well as in Los Angeles, San Diego, Orange County, greater Southern California, and Houston, TX.
If you are the focus of a Bank Fraud or Identity Theft criminal investigation – or if an investigation is pending – contact The Blanch Law Firm today by calling 646-350-1954. Initial consultations are complimentary and confidential.